The catalytic converter is in the exhaust emission control system of your vehicle. The main job of a catalytic converter is to turn the toxic gases that are generated from the internal combustion process into less toxic gases. This helps to support a healthier environment both outside and inside the vehicle.
You must always remember to clean the debris and grime from your converter regularly. These elements slowly build on the converter as you use your vehicle each day. If you don’t clean it often, the converter will eventually fail at its job. Most people don’t even know what a catalytic converter is, let alone have the sense to clean it. But now that you know what it is, you can clean it before it’s too late.
The best way to go about cleaning your catalytic converter is to purchase a special cleaner which is formulated to clean it. There are a lot of different catalytic converter cleaners on the market; some are more reputable than others. You’ll want to choose the one which gives you the kind of results that you’re looking for. In the end, you should see an increase in the fuel economy and efficiency of your vehicle.
Top 5 Best Products
Below are the top 5 catalytic converter cleaners on the market today.
1) Oxicat Oxygen Sensor and Catalytic Converter Cleaner – The Oxicat Oxygen Sensor and Catalytic Converter Cleaner removes soot and carbon deposits from the exhaust system, including the catalytic cleaner. The cleaning job is tremendous, and the performance of your catalytic converter will be completely restored. If there are any engine trouble codes related to the catalyst system, this cleaner should help get rid of those after you’re done applying it.
2) Hi-Gear HG3270s – The Hi-Gear HG3270s will clean a lot of different areas of your vehicle, including your exhaust system, catalytic converter, pistons, fuel system, and valves. Once you’re done using the HG3270s, you should quickly notice your engine performing better and your fuel economy being restored. Most importantly, the toxic emissions are reduced and any trouble codes related to emissions will go away.
3) Solder-It CAT-1 – The Solder-It CAT-1 is a cleaner which contains lots of deodorizing properties for getting rid of the foul egg-smelling odor of the toxic gases. When you have a ¼ tank of gas in your vehicle, add some of this formula to it and then drive another 50 miles or so. Once you refill the gas tank after that, you will notice the smell going away fast.
4) CRC “Guaranteed to Pass” Emissions System Formula – The CRC “Guaranteed to Pass” Emissions System Formula is great at eliminating carbon deposits from your fuel injectors, engine, and catalytic converter. The company, CRC, provides each purchaser with a money back guarantee in case they’re not satisfied with the results. For anyone who experiences trouble code “P0420,” this is the cleaner that will eliminate it for you. The next time you get an emissions test done after using this formula, you will surely pass it. Try cleaning your catalytic converter with this formula every 3,000 to 5,000 miles.
5) Cataclean Engine and Catalytic Converter Cleaner – The Cataclean Engine and Catalytic Converter Cleaner comes in a 16-ounce bottle and is one of the most preferred cleaning formulas for both oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. Even though this cleaner is rather on the expensive side, it does a great job of cleaning catalytic converters so that they can eliminate toxic gases again. In fact, a lot of people who need a quick solution for passing an emissions test will want to try this Cataclean formula.